Monday, December 31, 2012

Finishing 2012 with a BANG! And lots of carbs.

Goodbye 2012!  It has been nice knowing you.  Hello 2013--I have a lot of big plans for us!


So for the last day of the year, I took the day off to spend with the kids and to be a little bit domestic.  We started off with a surprise for Daddy.  Since my hubby has been working like a fiend lately, I wanted to make him his all time favorite dessert, pineapple upside down cake. Super easy recipe--goes as follows:

EASY PINEAPPLE UPSIDE DOWN CAKE RECIPE


Box of Yellow Cake (such as Duncan Hines)--Follow Instructions but use melted butter instead of oil, and use pineapple juice instead of water (use the juice from the can of sliced pineapple for the topping). Stir in 1/2 cup of shredded coconut.

Topping
Sliced Pineapple
Marachino Cherries
Shredded Coconut
Brown Sugar
1/4 Cup Melted Butter

Mix cake batter according to intsructions on back of box, but use the above substitutions. Spray the bottom of a bundt cake pan with PAM and grease it a little more with melted butter. Place sliced pineapple along the bottom of the pan, then insert the cherries in the middle of the pineapple. Pour the rest of the melted butter on top of the pineapple, add the brown sugar and shredded coconut. Then evenly pour the cake batter on top. Bake according to the instructions on the back of the box. Once done, let the pan sit on a rack for about an hour. Then place a plate on top of the pan and invert the cake onto the plate.

Serve with vanilla ice cream and caramel sauce.


 BEST HOME MADE BREAD EVER

Next, the boys and I made some homemade bread and it turned out awesome. The recipe is very simple and I got it off of Pinterest, where I found it on the following blog:

http://simplysogood.blogspot.com/2010/03/crusty-bread.html

Instead of using the cast iron dutch oven, I used my Pampered Chef Covered Ceramic Bakeware. It worked beautifully. I made a regular version and a garlic bread version--four cloves of crushed garlic. That's the one that you can see my boys devouring below. They LOVED it. I did too. Which means we have to do some extra exercise tomorrow to make up for the carb overload.


 THIRD ANNUAL PAJAMA RUN

A few days ago,  we took the kids on our third annual pajama run--this is where we put the kids to bed, but then about 20 minutes later we pull them out of bed, don't tell them where we are going, and have them meet up with our friends and their kids for late night surprise of donuts and card games, like UNO. We took over the joint. The kids had a blast and so did the parents. Of course we were zonked out the whole next day since it took forever for the kids to settle down and go to bed after all that sugar, but we're creating awesome memories!


 

NEW ADDITION TO THE FAMILY

 
Also, last week I adopted a new kitty cat.  He was on the euthenasia list at the Baldwin Park Animal Shelter.  He had been an owner surrender along with his sister, but she got adopted on Christmas Day.  The volunteer there named Stephani told me that he is the sweetest cat ever and keeps getting passed over for kittens.  That just broke my heart.  His name is Scully.  I named him after the greatest sportscaster of all time, Dodger Announcer Vin Scully.  He's coming back for the 2013 season to do his 63rd year of broadcasting!!!  I LOVE UNCLE VIN.  And to pay homage to him, this is way to remind me on a daily basis of his greatness.  RESCUE ANIMALS make THE BEST PETS!!
 
 


 JUST FOR LAUGHS


One of my all time favorite shows is Parks and Recreation.  Ron Swanson is the greatest character on TV right now.  And I love this Grumpy Cat Meme that's been going around.  So do both my boys.  I just thought that this would make you laugh!! 




ON THE NEEDLES

 
And last but not least, this is the scarf that I am working on right now.  Super easy pattern for mindless knitting.  It is called the Broken Rib Pattern.  It is 4 Knit stitches, 4 Pearl stitches, 4 Rows.  Then Reverse. It is easy and an adorable vintage pattern.
 
 


 
 

GOAL for 2013--Making the switch to cruelty-free beauty and household cleaning products.

I've been a vegetarian for 2 years now.  I'm going cruelty free with my beauty and household products beginning in 2013.  So I've been consulting this blog for help with the switch to the makeup.  It is a great website and you would be surprised at how many drug store finds are on it.
 

No comments: