Saturday, December 22, 2012

It is the End of the World As We Know It, and I Feel Fine

Today is 12-22-2012.  The day after the world was supposed to end, according to the Mayans.  So I guess they must have miscalculated a bit.


Yesterday was also the first day of my kid's winter vacation.  Hmmm...what would be a nice way to kick it off?  How about spending an evening with a dear friend decorating cookies (otherwise known as destroying the kitchen with cookie dough and powdered surgar)?  That sounded like fun, and that's what  we did.  We took it to the limit.  The kids had access to some Star Wars and Star Trek cookie cutters, and with our friend Jan helping to guide them through the delicate process, their finished products were a success.   Well, sort of.  There were a lot of mis-shaped cookies that ended up finding their way into little bellies instead of on the decorating table.

Now I'm no Martha Stewart.  To be quite honest, we didn't make the dough from scratch.  We used the pre-made gingerbread dough logs (although when I have made homemade gingerbread from Jan's familiy recipe the cookies turned out amazing) but sometimes when a working mom has to take shortcuts, Pillsbury doesn't do that bad of a job helping out with that sort of thing.  They were actually quite yummy.


So about 5 hours later, my kitchen looked like this:

 

And here is an example of the finished products:


So for those of you who are not geeks, you can see examples of a Vulcan hand, a storm trouper helmet and the a star fleet insignia.  Yes, the boys were in heaven.  To top it off, they got to watch Big Bang Theory while they were making these little treasures.   You know the episode, "The Friendship Algorithm"?  Well, our friend Jan was wearing a shirt with that algorithm on it, and by coincidence that happened to be the same episode that was on.  It blew the kids' minds.

 

GINGERBREAD COOKIE LEMON GLAZE:  Jan shared with me a very very simple recipe for a lemon glaze for the gingerbread cookies that made them taste amazing.  Here it is:  Take a 1/2 cup of powdered sugar and start with about 2 tablespoons of lemon juice.  Then mix together until it looks like a creamy (not transluscent) glaze.  It should be more white than clear.  If you need to add a little more lemon juice that's fine, but my first attempt was very runny and it ended up making the cookies a bit soggy.  Anyway, I am sure you will find out what consistency works best--you can always add more sugar/or juice until it looks right.  And then just drizzle on the finished cookies.


My HUSBAND, THE FED EX COURIER:  Almost 17 years at the job, and this time of year is ALWAYS exhausting and the volume has been incredible heavy.  They did record breaking numbers this season.  So I don't see very much of him until after December 25.  Yesterday he posted a few pics of what his work load has been like.  Here they are (along with his Instagram captions):

"You know the scene at the end of Raiders of the Lost Ark?"

 


"It looks like the end of the world to me..."

So I Gotta run now.  The boys are awake.  Time for breakfast.   I have a feeling gingerbread cookies are on the menu this morning.  Hey, it is vacation. 

BABIES, BABIES EVERYWHERE!


So finally, one knitting pattern.  It is an adorable baby hat.  Putting it on the needles today with some super soft baby yarn that I have been dying to use.  Gotta a  number of babies being born lately in my group of friends and co-workers, and just this week my assistant confided in me that she is expected a baby in the fall.  So if I get started on this super quick project now, I should be done just in time.  Tee hee.

So here is the hat that is my go-to pattern.  Easy, makes and adorable hat, and is a nice portable project.  Just what I need.

http://majorknitter.typepad.com/major_knitter/files/basic_newborn_baby_hat.pdf

No comments: